Many seniors rely on the care and support of multiple people. This type of community is important, but can also be a problem if everyone isn’t working in sync. Use these strategies to work as a team
Why It’s Important to Stay in Sync
Excellent caregiving can reduce some of the risks seniors face, but if a caregiving team is out of sync, risks can actually increase:
- Medications can get mixed up
- Stress levels can increase
- Lapses in scheduling
- Uncertainty about what tasks were completed
- Missed appointments
- Unnoticed symptoms
How to Spot a Team-Oriented Caregiving Agency
Not all caregiving services see teamwork the same way. For instance, some agencies require caregivers to use private tracking tools in a way that would make interaction with a senior’s family members tedious.
Look for agencies that have:
- Existing plans for communication with family members
- A proven track record of good reviews from clients and their families
- Online portals such as ClearCare’s Family Room to make teamwork efficient and effective
- A senior-centered, dignified perspective on care
Ways to Coordinate Care as a Team
Working together to help a senior enjoy life in their own home safely requires organization. Use these tips to coordinate care effectively:
- Hold regular meetings
- Agree on communication guidelines like:
- What are the best times for updates?
- When is the best time to regularly check in about upcoming needs?
- Who should be contacted first if there is an emergency?
- Who is authorized to make what kinds of decisions?
- Post these communication guidelines so all caregivers can see them
- Leave an emergency guide and kit for all caregivers to access
One of the most important ways to stay organized is to use an app. Care agencies sometimes offer apps or other tools for communication.
Home Care Tip: Be sure seniors know who is on their caregiving team and when to expect different caregivers to be around. Many seniors appreciate the sense of independence and ability to anticipate who will be helping them.
If you or your family member is considering in-home care as part of a plan to age in place, contact Family Matters In-Home Care today for a free consultation. Our team is dedicated to supporting your family and helping older adults enjoy life in the comfort of their own home for as long as possible.
Some of the services offered by Family Matter In-Home Care include: Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care, Bed & Wheelchair Transfer Assistance, Companionship, Housekeeping & Meal Preparation, Personal Care, Recovery Care, and Transportation.