Video chatting is a great way to stay connected to senior loved ones when you can’t be there in person. Whether it be through FaceTime, Skype or the more popular than ever Zoom video conferencing, there are a ton of great options to connect via video online.
However, not all interfaces are intuitive for less tech savvy seniors. To make video calls more obtainable for seniors, this list highlights easy-to-use video communication devices to help the elderly stay connected to friends and loved ones.
GrandPad is a simple and secure tablet computer that digitally connects a senior to their family and friends. The senior can easily view family photos and videos, play games, see weather for each family member, listen to music, check emails, make phone calls, place a video chat, and much more.
What makes the GrandPad stand out is it’s simplicity – making all features, including video communication, as simple as possible for seniors.
For more information on how the GrandPad works, features, and FAQs, visit grandpad.net or call the GrandPad team directly at (800) 704-9412.
Not only is ViewClix incredibly easy for seniors to enjoy, it’s perfect for family members with on-the-go lifestyles that want to keep in touch more frequently.
With ViewClix, family members can easily Share Pictures, enjoy live Video Calls, and post Sticky Notes to the ViewClix frame.
ViewClix’s video call features include:
- Universal compatibility: It’s easy to make video calls to the frame using the free ViewClix mobile app for Apple and Android smart phones or tablets. Plus, ViewClix video calls can be made using a browser on PC’s or Mac.
- Auto-answer mode lets a senior receive a call without pressing any button.
- Special “flip cast” feature lets you use the back side camera on your smart phone or tablet to show live family video to your senior.
- Secure and private: only authorized family members can make a video call.
- Each ViewClix frame includes an external conference-type microphone for excellent audio clarity.
To learn more about ViewClix, visit viewclix.com.
Konnekt Videophone is a simple phone, designed specifically for the elderly and those with a disability or hearing loss (Konnekt also offers captioning on their device). It’s one touch calling connects face-to-face to any iPad, tablet, mobile or PC worldwide via Skype. Calls telephones too.
The Konnekt Videophone enables face-to-face contact with family and friends through the simplest interface possible: ONE-TOUCH TO DIAL. It requires NO COMPUTER SKILLS whatsoever. There are no menus, no passwords, no fancy options.
The Videophone is ideal for those who struggle to use the telephone, or who are unable to use modern technology for any reason: poor eyesight or hearing, wobbly hand movements, immobility, or cognitive issues such as dementia. The Videophone enables Konnekt’s customers to take part in the digital communication age, without needing to understand fiddly, complicated devices.
Based in Australia, Konnekt provides sales & service to the US. Learn more at konnekt.com.au.
Google Nest Hub + Duo
The Google Nest Hub allows you to make and receive calls with other Google Duo users. Google Duo works on Android and iOS smartphones, tablets, computers, and other Smart Displays. It also has a neat Knock Knock feature which allows you to get a live video preview of the person calling you – starting the fun before the conversation even begins.
The Google Nest Hub offers a plethora of features beyond video calls, so it may not be the right device for less tech savvy seniors, but combining it’s great support, the Google brand, and simple interface, we’ve included it in our cut of senior-friendly video communication devices.
Learn more about the Nest Hub on the Google Store website.
If your senior loved one is a Facebook user, Facebook Portal is a smart video calling device which uses Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp to make calls. Highlighted features include:
- Easily video call with friends and family using your Messenger or WhatsApp account, even if they don’t have Portal.
- Keep up with the action. Smart Camera automatically pans and zooms, keeping everyone in frame while you move and talk freely.
- Hear and be heard. Smart Sound enhances your voice while minimizing unwanted background noise.
- Easily disable the camera and microphone, or block the camera lens with a single switch. All Portal video calls are encrypted.
- Become some of your children’s favorite storybook characters as you read along to well-loved tales with music, animation and immersive AR effects.
Amazon Echo Show
The Echo Show allows users to call friends and family who have the Alexa app or an Echo device with a screen.
Similar to the Google Nest Hub, the Echo Show comes rich with features for seniors a little more comfortable with technology.
Some of the Echo Show’s features include:
- An 8″ HD screen and stereo sound
- Be entertained – Ask Alexa to show you movie trailers, TV shows, movies, or the news. Or listen to radio stations, podcasts, and audiobooks.
- Control your smart home – Voice control compatible devices or manage them on the easy-to-use display. Ask Alexa to show you security cameras, control lights, and adjust thermostats.
- Make it yours – Show off your albums from Amazon Photos. Customize your home screen. Create morning routines to start your day.
- Made to fit your life – Cook along to step-by-step recipes. Easily update to-do lists and calendars. Glance at weather and traffic on your way out.
- Designed to protect your privacy – Electronically disconnect the microphones and camera with one press of a button. Slide the built-in shutter to cover the camera.
Learn more about the Echo Show on Amazon.
Best Video Chat Apps
Don’t need a dedicated video communication device? Here are some of the best video chat apps that don’t require a dedicated device (as of 2020):
- Zoom Meeting
- Google Duo (Best video chat for Android smart phone users)
- FaceTime (Best video chat for iPhone users)
- Facebook Messenger
- Microsoft Teams
If you or your family member is considering in-home care as part of a plan to age in place, contact Family Matters In-Home Care today for a free consultation. Our team is dedicated to supporting your family and helping older adults enjoy life in the comfort of their own home for as long as possible.
Some of the services offered by Family Matter In-Home Care include: Alzheimer’s & Dementia Care, Bed & Wheelchair Transfer Assistance, Companionship, Housekeeping & Meal Preparation, Personal Care, Recovery Care, and Transportation.